The Chamber is seeking application for its 2021 Board of Directors. Represent the business community and make a difference locally. Help take the organization to new heights!
Role of the Board
The Board of Directors is the governing authority for the Chamber. The Board will leverage community support as needed to promote and advance the Chamber’s work, mission and vision. Additionally, the Board will work with and supervise the efforts of the Executive Director to ensure that he/she is carrying out the operational needs of the organization to realize its objectives, supporting the Executive Director and/or organization as needed.
The Board of Directors will approve all organizational policies and guidelines to ensure adherence to the strategic vision of the Chamber. The Board has three main responsibilities:
- Governance: Oversee matters critical to the health of the organization— not decisions or approvals about specific matters, which is management’s role—but instead those involving fundamental matters such as the viability of its business model, the integrity of its internal systems and controls, and the accuracy of its financial statements.
- Strategic Direction: Formulate key organizational policies and strategic goals, focusing both on near-term and longer-term challenges and opportunities, as well as ensure adherence to the mission of the organization.
- Fiduciary Responsibility: Steward the resources of the organization for the longer run, not just by carefully reviewing annual budgets and evaluating operations but also by encouraging foresight through several budget cycles, considering investments in light of future evolution, and planning for future capital needs.
- January 7 | Unofficial call for applicants
- January 11 | Official announcement of re-election candidates, 10-day application window for new Board of Directors applications. Applications must be submitted by January 19, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.
- January 20 | Board of Directors meeting – applications are reviewed and official ballot is finalized.
- January 25-30 | Voting is open (Election window) Email sent on Monday and Friday (also noted in weekly email newsletter)
- February 1 | 2021 Board of Directors announced
- February 171 | 2021 Board of Directors meets for the first time
Candidates for re-election
John Charters | Owner, Bristlecone Mountain Sports (elected in 2018)
John Charters is an owner/operator in Bristlecone Mountain Sports. Bristlecone is a 26 year old Specialty Outdoor Retail operation located in the Willits Shopping Center.
Just prior to purchasing Bristlecone Mountain Sports, Mr. Charters was an owner/operator at Mitchell and Company, a local IT and Technology Services Company based in Carbondale but with clients all over western Colorado. He has also served as an adjunct Professor for Colorado Mountain College teaching Business Entrepreneurship at their Glenwood Campus. Mr. Charters obtained a BS in Electrical Engineering and a MBA from Gonzaga University and compiled over 30 years of business experience including numerous executive level and board positions for both private and publicly held companies based in Denver and San Francisco, all in technology related industries.
Yuani Ruiz | President, Alpine Bank, Downtown Basalt (elected in 2018)
Yuani Ruiz is the President of Alpine Bank – Basalt and has been a community banker in the Mid Roaring Fork Valley for over 20 years. Yuani is originally from Costa Rica, grew up in Iowa, and is a proud Hawkeye alumni with degrees in Finance & Economics. He has been active on the Chamber Board for 3 years and is a passionate supporter of the interests of Basalt/Mid Valley businesses. Yuani lives in rural Basalt with his family and enjoys stewarding bees, hunting, rock climbing, and playing guitar.
Board of Directors Application
Members in good standing are eligible to apply for a Board of Directors position. Ideal candidates are managers and directors within an organization. The chamber seeks to represent a wide variety of sectors through its Board of Directors.
Underrepresented industries are highly encouraged to apply, including:
- Restaurant/food & beverage
- Professional/business services
- Service (including trades)