Details about the 2022-23 Season
- Who is eligible?
- Important dates
- Program overview
- Purchase the discounted passes
- Chamber Pass Products
- The Audit
Each year, the Aspen Skiing Company (ASC), in partnership with the chambers in the Roaring Fork and Colorado River Valleys, provides an incredible Member-to-Member benefit through its discounted Chamber Pass Program. The savings on the 2022-23 Premier Pass – with unlimited skiing/riding during the winter season, as well as additional summertime benefits – is $900 per pass. If an organization takes advantage of this Member-to-Member benefit, the Chamber membership more than pays for itself. This is the most widely used Chamber benefit.
The Aspen Times – Season pass prices for 2022-23 unveiled by Aspen Skiing Co.
ASC Chamber Pass Program Informational Webinar
On August 22, 2022, our executive director explained the Chamber Pass Program, reviewed the digital process, broke down the annual audit requirement, and highlighted best practices for a smooth experience. This is a MUST WATCH webinar for any organization (or representative) that is new to the Chamber Pass Program process.
Important Links – READ ME
- Pre-verification checklist | Read and complete this checklist PRIOR to starting the pass process
- Eligibility flowchart | A PDF to guide businesses through the pre-verification process
- How To: Complete the 4-step Chamber Pass Program Process | An explanation of all four steps, with screenshots
- Aspen Skiing Company Chamber Passes Page | Pass types, prices and fine print – be sure to read the FAQs
- Aspen Snowmass 2022-23 Chamber Pass Program Guidelines | How the program works and the rules
- 2023-23 Welcome Letter from Aspen Snowmass | What’s new for the winter season
- Chamber Pass Program Frequently Asked Questions | You’ve asked, we’ve answered
- Chamber email: ❄ Chamber Pass Program ❄ | It is GO TIME! How to get discounted passes for your business
Opt-in Opt-In Instructions Make a membership dues payment
Who is eligible?
While ANY business can become a Basalt Chamber member, not all businesses qualify for the ASC
Chamber Pass Program. Aspen Skiing Company has outlined specific requirements to participate in its program – the Chambers enforce these qualifications to preserve the sanctity of the program (we don’t want to lose this benefit!)
This program was created to provide discounted pricing to local businesses and local employees. The Chamber Pass Program is not intended for second-homeowners with a business based elsewhere (e.g. their primary residence), temporarily operated within the Roaring Fork Valley during their stay.
- The business/organization must be located and operated in the Roaring Fork Valley. The business has a local mailing and physical addresses.
- The business/organization must be a current member of the Chamber of Commerce in the community in which the business is operating (the Basalt Chamber of Commerce). “Current member” means that the business/organization does not have any outstanding invoices.
- Only owners, managers, and employees living in the Roaring Fork Valley (as their primary residence) AND working a minimum of twenty (20) hours per week during the winter season are eligible for the discounted season pass. These are individuals receive a W2 and their primary residence is in the Roaring Fork Valley.
- Only spouses of owners, managers and employees living in the Roaring Fork Valley (as their primary residence) are eligible. The owner, manager and employee must meet the qualifications above in order for the spouse to qualify. To verify eligibility, spouses must be able to provide a Marriage Certificate, Common Law Affidavit or Civil Union Certificate if audited.
- Non-working owners, friends, contract laborers and consultants are NOT eligible. This includes 1099s. Real estate agents and brokers affiliated with a registered brokerage firm are eligible.
Below is a flowchart to assist organizations with navigate the required pre-verification steps. These items must be completed prior to starting the Chamber Pass Program process [Click here for PDF version].
Not yet a member? Join here. It may take up to two-three business days to process your application.
Previously a member and need to rejoin? Please email or call us with the business name and total number of FTEs. Do NOT fill out an application as it will create a duplicate account in our system. It is much faster for us to reactivate an old account and update it with current information.
Need to renew your membership (or pay an outstanding invoice)? Pay online. If you have questions about an invoice, please email or call us. Don’t forget to include the business name!
- August 16 | Aspen Skiing Company (ASC) announces Chamber Pass Program products and prices. Super Early Pricing pass sales begin.
- August 16-26 | Basalt Chamber’s Early Action Incentive timeframe. Chamber members who opt-in for verification of eligibility will be in the drawing for a $325 credit towards next year’s membership. One lucky member will win.
- August 22 at Noon | 2022-23 ASC Chamber Pass Program Webinar – learn about the process and get your questions answered. A recording will be posted on this page following the webinar.
- September 9 at 5 p.m. | Final day for members to opt-in for verification of eligibility with the Chamber. This deadline is to ensure businesses have enough time to complete the final two steps of the process with ASC prior to the Super Early Deadline.
- September 16 | Super Early Pricing Deadline. Members must have ordered passes through ASC AND paid for them by this date to receive the super early pricing rate. Pass prices are not locked in until ASC has been paid!
- Snowmass: November 24, 2022 (through April 16, 2023)
- Aspen Mountain: November 24, 2022 (through April 16, 2023)
- Aspen Highlands: December 10, 2022 (through April 9, 2023)
- Buttermilk: December 17, 2022 (through April 2, 2023)
Program Overview – How does this work?
The Chamber Pass Program is only available to businesses/non-profit organizations that meet ASC’s requirements. Businesses purchase and manage the passes within their organization, ensuring that discounted passes are being used exclusively by bona fide employees and spouses (per ASC’s definition), and that the program rules are being followed.
Local chambers work with Aspen Skiing Company to administer the program to eligible businesses. The Chamber’s role is to verify that businesses/organization meets ASC’s requirements during the pass sales process AND again during the annual audit in January. Once chamber verification is complete, the business/organization is provided access to a pass order form, and can proceed with purchasing the passes. Once paid, the company receives a voucher (16-digit code) tied to each purchased pass purchase. This voucher is later redeemed when it is loaded onto an RFID card Aspen Card.
Historically the Chamber Passes go on sale in mid-August, following the official announcement by Aspen Skiing Company. These details appear in the local press and on the Chamber’s website. While pass sales continue through the start of the winter season, the best pricing is during the Super Early Discount timeframe – the first few weeks of pass sales. ASC releases these dates, along with the different pricing and pass products in the official announcement. Most businesses try to purchase Chamber passes during the Super Early Discount timeframe to lock-in the lowest prices of the season.
Each discounted chamber pass is the property of the business that purchased it. The business has to purchase the pass from ASC; individuals cannot purchase the discounted passes outright.* Each organization is responsible for deciding internally how it will handle passing on the cost of the pass to eligible employees/spouse, and how it will manage passes to ensure program compliance. Payment to Aspen Skiing Company for all Chamber pass vouchers must be made by business credit card, business check or wire transfer. There is a $10,000 per business limit for credit card purchases per season. Personal credit cards will only be accepted from the business owner whose name is specified by the Chamber of Commerce. Personal checks and cash will not be accepted.
*A sole proprietor living and working year-round in the Roaring Fork Valley (at least 20 hours/week during the winter season), is eligible to purchase a pass through their business, then the business can issue the pass to the individual.
NOTE: Only three ASC pass products are included in the Chamber Pass Program – ASC offers many more options. Be sure to review all available ASC product offerings (chamber and non-chamber) to find the right pass for your winter season needs.
To streamline the Chamber Pass Program, each business/organization must designated a Chamber Pass representative to be the single point of contact during the four-step process. This individual is responsible for handling all interactions between the chamber and ASC. An ideal representative is an owner/manager/HR/payroll person. It is helpful if this person is already in the Chamber’s database. Since the program is managed at the business/organization level, individual employees (outside of the designated Chamber Pass representative) should not reach out to either the chamber or ASC.
Purchasing discounted passes
First – Ensure the business meets the above qualifications. Then complete the pre-verification checklist or follow our handy eligibility flowchart.
The process has four main steps: the first two between the business and the Basalt Chamber, and the final two between the business and Aspen Skiing Company.
- Member Opt-in
- Chamber Verification of Eligibility
- Member completes ASC Pass Selection
- Member completes ASC Pass Payment
The entire process is documented on this site, featuring step-by-step instructions, screenshots and examples of the confirmation emails the designated Chamber Pass Program representative will receive.
The Chamber Pass Program Audit
Typically occurs in January/February
Annually a random audit of 10% of participating businesses is performed to ensure compliance with the Chamber Pass Program. Businesses that do not submit information at the request of the Chamber or are found to be in noncompliance will incur a fee. Each noncompliant pass must be upgraded to an individual pass at the regular pricing season (which could be a charge the difference of $1,400 for the Premier Pass). Businesses could also have all passes suspended for the duration of the season and/or be ineligible to participate in the Chamber Pass Program in subsequent years. Businesses not in compliance will be audited again the following year.
Each Chamber Pass is the property of the business that purchased it and it is the business’s responsibility to ensure that the passes purchased by the business are only being used by bona fide employees and spouses.
Aspen Skiing Company defines a bona fide employee as one who works a minimum of 20 hours a week during the winter season, receives a W2 and whose primary residence is in the Roaring Fork Valley. If an employee with a Chamber Pass resigns, is terminated or works less than the minimum requirement during the ski season, it is your responsibility to revoke the pass from that individual (and spouse) and notify Aspen Skiing Company. Revoked passes are not eligible for refunds but may be transferred to another employee (or spouse).
If chosen to be part of the audit the business will need to provide one of the following documents as verification for each employee in question in the time frame indicated by the Chamber of Commerce:
- A copy of the fourth quarter Colorado State Unemployment report: Form UITR-1.
- If you are a Partnership or S-Corporation: Provide schedule K and individual partners’ schedule K-1 from the federal tax return, Form 1065.
- If you are a sole proprietor: Provide schedule C from your tax return, Form 1040.
- In lieu of a partnership K-1, S-Corporation or Individual Schedule C, a signed affidavit by an independent CPA including verification of compliance with the program guidelines listed above will be accepted for proprietors, partners or corporations only.
If chosen to be part of the audit you will need to provide one of the following documents as verification for each spouse in question in the time frame indicated by the Chamber of Commerce:
- Marriage License
- Civil Union License
- State of Colorado Affidavit of Common Law Marriage that is registered with the county
HELPFUL HINTS FOR THE AUDIT PROCESS:
Documentation: Make sure you can provide the correct documentation for your employees and spouses before you issue them a discount chamber pass voucher.
Keep track of your vouchers: It is the responsibility of the business to keep a record of recipients of the chamber discount pass vouchers. We suggest you keep a spreadsheet of all the voucher numbers and the corresponding name of the employee or spouse.
Please read the ASC Program Guidelines for additional details.
Chamber Pass Program types
Super Early Pricing (through September 16, 2022)
- Premier Chamber (unlimited skiing + IKON Base pass + uphill pass) – $1,699 ($900 savings per pass)
- Alpine Pass 2-Day Chamber (two days to use per week) – $1,469 ($350 savings per pass)
- Alpine Pass 1-Day Chamber (single day to use per week) – $,1049 ($190 savings per pass)
Aspen Skiing Company offers additional pass products, however only those listed above are part of the Chamber Pass Program.
- This is an opt-in process. The chamber will not automatically assume that every member wants to participate in the program.
- Renew your membership. Failure to renew prior to the verification process will result in delays. If you are unsure of an invoice number or total amount due, please call or email. Due to the volume of transactions processed during this time, please do not call to pay by credit card. Use online payment.
- DO NOT wait until the last week! Last year many of our members who waited discovered that there was a lengthy turnaround time with the ASC portion of the process (selecting and purchasing the passes). Save yourself the stress, and take care of this early.