Details about the 2023-24 Season
- Who is eligible?
- Key dates
- Program overview
- Chamber Pass Products
- How to purchase the discounted passes
- The Audit
Aspen Skiing Company (ASC), in partnership with local chambers, provides an incredible Member-to-Member benefit through its discounted Chamber Pass Program. The savings on the 2023-24 Premier Pass – with unlimited skiing/riding during the winter season and additional summer benefits – is $970 per pass. If an organization takes advantage of this Member-to-Member benefit, the Chamber membership more than pays for itself. This is the most widely used Chamber benefit.
There is a three-step online process to get discounted Chamber passes.
The Chamber verifies a business’s eligibility for the discount. This requires a member to opt-in.
Once verified, the business completes the pass purchase and payment process directly with Aspen Skiing Company.
Chamber Pass Program Informational Webinar
On August 21, 2023, our executive director outlined the Chamber Pass Program, reviewed the digital process, explained the annual audit requirement, and highlighted best practices for a smooth experience. For those who are new members, or returning members who need a refresher, this helpful webinar will answer most questions.
- Aspen Skiing Company Chamber Passes Page | Pass types, prices and fine print – be sure to read the FAQs
- Aspen Snowmass 2023-24 Chamber Pass Program Guidelines [PDF] | How the program works and the rules
- 2023-24 Aspen Skiing Company bStore Instructions (Step 3)[PDF]
- Pre-verification checklist | What needs to be done prior to Step 1 | Member Opt-In
- How To: The Digital Process Explained | An outline of the three steps of the Chamber Pass Program process
- How To: Complete the opt-in registration form, with step-by-step screenshots | Instructions for Step 1 | Member Opt-In
- Chamber Pass Program FAQs & Best Practices – coming soon
- Email announcement: ❄ Chamber Pass Program ❄ | It is GO TIME! How to get discounted passes for your business
2023-24 updates and changes
- New ASC online ordering and payment system – bStore | Members are now be able to select AND pay for Chamber program passes online through Aspen Skiing Company’s business portal bStore.
- No limit on credit card transactions | Previously there was a $10,000 per business limit for credit card purchases per season. This has been removed. Businesses now can pay for passes online with a business credit card, or opt for a business check or wire.
- Last call for paper vouchers | ASC will sunset the use of the printed out paper vouchers after this season. Moving forward, businesses will need to keep track of digital voucher numbers provided by ASC and distribute them electronically (an internal spreadsheet is recommended).
Who is eligible?
While ANY business can become a Basalt Chamber member, not all businesses qualify for the ASC Chamber Pass Program. Aspen Skiing Company has outlined specific requirements to participate in its program – the chambers enforce these qualifications to preserve the sanctity of the program (we don’t want to lose this benefit!)
This program exists to provide discounted pricing to local businesses and local employees. The Chamber Pass Program is NOT for second-homeowners with a business based elsewhere (e.g. their primary residence), temporarily operated within the Roaring Fork Valley during their stay.
Review the Aspen Skiing Company Chamber Passes Page for full details – click the Chamber Qualifications tab.
- The business/organization must be located and operated in the Roaring Fork Valley. The business has a local mailing and physical addresses.
- The business/organization must be a current member of the Chamber of Commerce in the community in which the business is operating (the Basalt Chamber of Commerce). “Current member” means that the business/organization does not have any outstanding invoices.
- Businesses must have a physical address within the Roaring Fork River Drainage area situated in Eagle, Pitkin, Garfield, or Gunnison Counties, or within the Colorado River Drainage area from and including the unincorporated No Name and including the towns of Aspen, Basalt, Carbondale, El Jebel, Glenwood Springs, Marble, Meredith, New Castle, Parachute, Redstone, Rifle, Silt, Snowmass, Snowmass Village, Woody Creek.
- Only owners, managers, and employees living in the Roaring Fork Valley (as their primary residence) AND working a minimum of twenty (20) hours per week during the winter season are eligible for the discounted season pass. These are individuals receive a W2 and their primary residence is in the Roaring Fork Valley.
- Only spouses of owners, managers and employees living in the Roaring Fork Valley (as their primary residence) are eligible. The owner, manager and employee must meet the qualifications above in order for the spouse to qualify. To verify eligibility, spouses must be able to provide a Marriage Certificate, Common Law Affidavit or Civil Union Certificate.
- Non-working owners, friends, contract laborers and consultants are NOT eligible. This includes 1099s. Real estate agents and brokers affiliated with a registered brokerage firm are eligible.
Every year there is an audit (see below) where selected businesses must provide the proper documentation in order to prove its eligibility and legitimacy. Prior to opting into the program, businesses should review the list of required documents and be prepared to provide them if selected for the audit. If a business believes it will be unable to provide the required documents, it should highly reconsider its participation in the program, as there are extreme consequences for those that violate the terms. Please contact the Chamber at (970) 927-4031 with any questions.
- August 15, 2023 | Aspen Skiing Company (ASC) announces Chamber Pass Program products and prices. Super Early Pricing pass sales begin.
- August 15-25 | Basalt Chamber’s Early Action Incentive timeframe. Chamber members who opt-in for verification of eligibility will be in the drawing for a $325 credit towards next year’s membership. One lucky member will win!
- August 21 at Noon | 2023-24 ASC Chamber Pass Program Webinar – learn about the process and get your questions answered. A recording will be posted on this page following the webinar.
- September 8 at 5 p.m. | Final day for members to opt-in for verification of eligibility with the Chamber. This deadline is to ensure businesses have enough time to complete the final two steps of the process with ASC prior to the Super Early Deadline. Last minute opt-in registrations occurring after September 8, 2023, will be charged a $150 rush fee.
- September 15 | Super Early Pricing Deadline – Members must have ordered and paid ASC for passes by this date to receive the Super Early Pricing rate. Prices are not locked in until ASC has received payment.
How does this work?
The Chamber Pass Program is only available to businesses/non-profit organizations that meet Aspen Skiing Company’s (ASC) requirements (see Who is eligible? above and Chamber Qualifications on the ASC Chamber Pass Program page.).
Local chambers work with Aspen Skiing Company to administer the program to eligible businesses. The Chamber’s role is to verify that businesses/organization meets ASC’s requirements during the pass sales process AND again during the annual audit in January. Once chamber verification is complete, the business/organization is provided access to ASC’s online pass ordering and payment system.
Businesses purchase and manage the passes within their organization, ensuring that discounted passes are being used exclusively by bona fide employees and spouses (per ASC’s definition), and that the program rules are being followed. This is the responsibility of the designated Chamber Pass Program representative who is the single point of contact during the three-step process. This person should be an owner, manager or a key person in an HR or Accounting role.
Once paid, the company receives a voucher tied to each purchased pass. This voucher is later redeemed when it is loaded onto an RFID card Aspen Card.
When do passes go on sale?
Historically the Chamber Passes go on sale in mid-August, following the official announcement by Aspen Skiing Company. These details appear in the local press and on the Chamber’s website.
For the 2023-24 Chamber Pass Program season, passes are on sale as of August 15, 2023. While pass sales continue through the start of the winter season, the best pricing is during the Super Early Discount timeframe – the first few weeks of pass sales. ASC releases these dates, along with the different pricing and pass products in the official announcement. Most businesses try to purchase Chamber passes during the Super Early Discount timeframe to lock-in the lowest prices of the season. For more information on key price dates, visit Chamber Pass Pricing on the ASC Chamber Pass Program page.
Chamber Pass products
Review the Aspen Skiing Company Chamber Passes Page for full details – under the Chamber Pass Pricing tab.
Super Early Pricing (through September 15, 2023)
- Premier Chamber (unlimited access + IKON Base pass + uphill pass) – $1,809 ($970 savings per pass)
- Alpine Pass 2-Day Chamber (two days to use per week) – $1,564 ($380 savings per pass)
- Alpine Pass 1-Day Chamber (single day to use per week) – $1,119 ($205 savings per pass)
NOTE: Aspen Skiing Company offers additional pass products, however only those listed above are included in the Chamber Pass Program. Be sure to review all available ASC product offerings (chamber and non-chamber) to find the right pass for your winter season needs.
Purchasing discounted passes
Before you start – Ensure the business meets the above program qualifications AND review the pre-verification checklist.
The process has three main steps: the first part is between the business and the Basalt Chamber, and the second part is between the business and Aspen Skiing Company.
- Member Opt-in
- Chamber Verification of Eligibility
- Member completes ASC Pass Selection and Payment with ASC
Once paid, the company receives a voucher (code) tied to each purchased pass. This voucher is later redeemed when it is loaded onto an RFID card Aspen Card.
The Chamber Pass Program Audit
Typically occurs in January/February
A random audit of 10% of participating businesses is annually performed to ensure compliance with the Chamber Pass Program. Businesses that do not submit information at the request of the Chamber or are found to be in noncompliance will incur a fee. Each noncompliant pass must be upgraded to an individual pass at the regular pricing season (which could be a charge the difference of $1,505 for the Premier Pass). Businesses could also have all passes suspended for the duration of the season and/or be ineligible to participate in the Chamber Pass Program in subsequent years. Businesses not in compliance will be audited again the following year.
Each Chamber Pass is the property of the business that purchased it and it is the business’s responsibility to ensure that the passes purchased by the business are only being used by bona fide employees and spouses.
Aspen Skiing Company defines a bona fide employee as one who works a minimum of 20 hours a week during the winter season, receives a W2 and whose primary residence is in the Roaring Fork Valley. If an employee with a Chamber Pass resigns, is terminated or works less than the minimum requirement during the ski season, it is your responsibility to revoke the pass from that individual (and spouse) and notify Aspen Skiing Company. Revoked passes are not eligible for refunds but may be transferred to another employee (or spouse).
If chosen to be part of the audit the business will need to provide one of the following documents as verification for each employee in question in the time frame indicated by the Chamber of Commerce:
- A copy of the fourth quarter Colorado State Unemployment report: Form UITR-1.
- If you are a Partnership or S-Corporation: Provide schedule K and individual partners’ schedule K-1 from the federal tax return, Form 1065.
- If you are a sole proprietor: Provide schedule C from your tax return, Form 1040.
- In lieu of a partnership K-1, S-Corporation or Individual Schedule C, a signed affidavit by an independent CPA including verification of compliance with the program guidelines listed above will be accepted for proprietors, partners or corporations only.
If chosen to be part of the audit you will need to provide one of the following documents as verification for each spouse in question in the time frame indicated by the Chamber of Commerce:
- Marriage License
- Civil Union License
- State of Colorado Affidavit of Common Law Marriage that is registered with the county
HELPFUL HINTS FOR THE AUDIT PROCESS:
Documentation: Make sure you can provide the correct documentation for your employees and spouses before you issue them a discount chamber pass voucher.
Keep track of your vouchers: It is the responsibility of the business to keep a record of recipients of the chamber discount pass vouchers. We suggest you keep a spreadsheet of all the voucher numbers and the corresponding name of the employee or spouse.
Please read the ASC Program Guidelines for additional details.
- This is an opt-in process. The chamber will not automatically assume that every member wants to participate in the program.
- Renew your membership. Failure to renew prior to the verification process will result in delays. If you are unsure of an invoice number or total amount due, please call or email. Due to the volume of transactions processed during this time, please do not call to pay by credit card. Use online payment.
- DO NOT wait until the last week! Last year many of our members who waited discovered that there was a lengthy turnaround time with the ASC portion of the process (selecting and purchasing the passes). Save yourself the stress, and take care of this early.